Sunday, January 14, 2007

Someone different

You know something? These past few days, I realized something.

That feeling you get in your heart... that you're doing the right thing? But yet, you always feel so reluctant, so unwilling to do it?

Do it.

Well, I dont know if any of you guys feel what I feel. I know that somethings in life, are the " right and good " things. You know... like helping old people across the streets.

But what if its raining? And you dont have an umbrella. You're feeling wet and horrible, lonely and tired. There are LOTS of others around with umbrellas and raincoats to boot. So now, are you still gonna sacrifice? Or let someone else do it?

I volunteered to help out JAMS church today... Well, basically i volunteered cause there's no one else, and.. yeah, there's no one else.

For those who do not know, JAMS means Jesus for All MindS. Its a ministry to the intellectualy disabled! And trust me. Ushers, you have my respect, choir you sing really well.

But to truely LOVE a person, without ANY benefit to yourself, without any judgement,without anger or repulsion. Imagine when you get hit or your hair's pulled, you cant get angry... And when you are in JAMS ministry, its really because, well... you gotta have a beautiful heart...

JAMS guys. You have my utter respect.

The first thing this guy ( Yi Chuan )said to us was... When you see them, smile! And not just smile, but smile where they can see your TEETH and look really happy to see them!

Ha! Easy I thought, megawatt charming smile CHRIS style coming right up.

Dont get me wrong, I was nervous I would judge them as well... I even prayed before I started to go out... And I imagined everything will be OK and I would be comfortable about it all.

But imagination is really ONE thing. And life is really another..

I just felt lost! Here they were coming in, and was I supposed to invite them, to usher them in, to smile, to talk to them? What!? I had no idea what to do...

So in the end, I just tried to shake their hands and asked whats their name and have they eaten... Seeing them smile, hearing them call me teacher... Even now, as i type this, I'm smiling to myself at the memory... After that, smiling and grinning just came natural...

And they are so well behanved, or most of them at least, when you say something, they'll really listen to you... and when you're stacking up the chairs, all of them will wanna help you!

Can u imagine those normal people doing that? Everyone just rushes off to do their own stuff! These kids really show you a new perspective of life. Their own simple perspective.
And they dont deserve the stares they get in public, or the looks of disgust from old aunties who wouldnt ever know what it means.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To my non-christian friends, this might really sound corny and all, but, I'm still gonna say it. God Is Good!

He is so so good! As I stood there, and looked around, watching them praise God, and worship him. The Spirit just overwhelmed me la... And I knew, that no matter who you are, what you look like, how you speak.

God simply just loves you...

And standing there, look at the parents with their children. Wondering about all the things they went through. Looking at how the JAMS ministry people serve and treat these guys like normal people, hearing them sing and jump and smile... It's a really touching moment.

And I know now, beyond all doubt that our God is a Awesome God! And at this point I remembered CCC's song I heard at FOP

Our God is an awesome God.
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power and love
Our God is an awesome God!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next time you see a someone different. What would you do? What would you think?

Would you be lost? Would you be disgusted? Would you judge? Or would you pity?

I dont claim to be an expert after just one session.
But I do know this though...

The best thing you probably could do.
Is show your teeth.

:-)

No comments: